From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: bdale@××.com, overholt@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] list of devices / boards, subprojects for each?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:37:27
1 Hello Harald, Mike et al,
2
3 I'm hearing excellent ideas here. My first conception was to just have
4 individuals responsible for their various boards with collaboration on a
5 common platform, but to have a terminal server for other gentoo-embedded
6 developers is also a fantastic idea. This would facilitate svn firmware
7 images / filesystems, etc.
8
9 The reason I believe that gentoo would be a great choice for embedded
10 linux is purely for 2 reasons:
11
12 1) portage - an incredibly versatile solution to package management
13 2) a highly 'emergant' user / developer / bugfix base
14
15 Obviously the developers in gentoo-embedded would prefer to have portage
16 as the primary (only) package management system for gentoo-embedded -
17 that only makes logical sense.
18
19 However, there is also an important underlying issue here - whether the
20 embedded device is Gentoo-based, Debian-based, or RedHat-based, there is
21 still a need for a standardized embedded device architecture both in
22 software and hardware.
23
24 Some related notes from my most recent Linux World Expo visit in Toronto:
25
26 I have spoken to Bdale Garbee, CT Open Source & Linux for HP on a
27 similar topic. I asked him if HP would be interested in supporting a
28 sort of 'summer of embedded code' for embedded Linux. He mentioned that
29 he and HP would be interested in 'facilitating' more research into
30 embedded standards, both hardware and software, since HP uses Linux
31 exclusively for most of their products that have a processor network
32 device built into them (aside from the iPaq ... sigh).
33
34 Another business card that I acquired was from Andrew Overholt at
35 RedHat. He has helped out considerably with the CDT / Eclipse project.
36 If anyone here has used Eclipse, I'm sure you would agree that it
37 provides an excellent and freely available platform for code as well as
38 management. My opinion is that the management side of something on
39 this scale is almost as important as the code itself, and if that
40 platform can be standardized for embedded developers the world would
41 literally be our oyster.
42
43 These two potentials could not only improve the state of embedded
44 development but also prove reasonably profitable for all parties
45 involved, including Gentoo, RedHat, and HP, besides all of the
46 subsidiary companies who may be employing the technology.
47
48 I've CC'd Bdale and Andrew on this. Responses and comments are very welcome.
51 Cheers,
52
53 ~/Chris
58 wireless wrote:
59 > Harald Schioeberg wrote:
60 >>> There would also have to be an ACL (Access Control List) such
61 >>> that I could regulate who gets access to these boards.
62 >>> I could use some suggestions on iptables rules for this
63 >>> (embedded) DMZ. I have spoken to several folks in the past that
64 >>> have tried this, and maintaining security is always a challenge.
65 >>> So a limited ACL in the beginning until the security mechanisms
66 >>> mature, is a prudent step.
67 >>
68 >> Hi,
69 >>
70 >> here comes my experience with a similar configuration (not developers
71 >> but students with root-privileges, even worse :))
72 >>
73 >> a stepping-stone host with ssh-logins for outside devs. this is the only
74 >> system, that accepts connections from outside, the firewall blocks any
75 >> attempt to connect to any embedded system directly. we even have our
76 >> devices in a network with private ip-addresses, with no routing at all
77 >> to or from the internet, the steppingstone has 2 nics, one with a public
78 >> IP for ssh-login, and one with the private ip. it does NOT do any
79 >> routing or NAT. the private IP-config will probably not work for you,
80 >> because:
81 >>
82 >> the dev systems probably need outgoing http/ftp/rsync if not more. block
83 >> smtp at all costs. if you need mail for debugging the embedded systems,
84 >> configure your stepping-stone so that it accepts mails for your
85 >> dns-zone, and delivers it locally, but do not forward any mail from the
86 >> dev-dmz. if you only want to support one system (say gentoo) you might
87 >> get along with a local gentoo-mirror, but development is really
88 >> cumbersome if people don't have http/ftp access do download some patches
89 >> or whatever. people will start to build ssh-portforwards if you are too
90 >> restrictive and that kills any firewall.
91 >>
92 >> you need ip-switchable powersupply for all dev-systems, these things
93 >> will crash and the users need a way to reboot them remotly.
94 >> (afair ~300 Euro per 8 devices)
95 >> see that you get some with snmp support, then you can write a small tool
96 >> that checks against the acl before it reboots the device.
97 >>
98 >> you need a serial connection to each dev-system. we use terminal-servers
99 >> for that purpose. make sure you can break a serial login, users will
100 >> forget to log out and block the serial port forever. again, see for snmp
101 >> support for that purpose.
102 >> (terminal-servers are really expensive, about 150 Euro per port, but you
103 >> can use a pc with lots of ports, and use a serial-to-network daemon)
104 >>
105 >> if multiple devs should be able to share a device, you need some kind of
106 >> a reservation system. We started with a wiki, where everyone entered the
107 >> devices that he wants to book in a table. that worked amazingly well.
108 >> now we have switched to a sql-db, with allows us to restrict the logins
109 >> on the devices to that devices, that the user has actually reserved. the
110 >> most important thing is that never 2 independant users access the device
111 >> at the same time if they want to do things like system configuration
112 >> things...
113 >>
114 >> we provide our users with a tftp-server, that has a writeable directory
115 >> for each stepping-stone-user. it is planned to allow the users to
116 >> specify a config-snippet for the dhcpd (again, only for such system that
117 >> the user has reserved in the db), when this is done there will be
118 >> everything a user needs to boot any arbitary system on the device (if
119 >> the device is netboot-enabled)
120 >>
121 >> hope that gives you some ideas,
122 >> harald
123 >
124 > Hello Harald,
125 >
126 > This is a wonderful architecture, although I suspect it will take
127 > me some time to get things together. I should like to start off
128 > with a custom firewall.
129 >
130 > Currently we only have a single static IP, so I'll have to stick
131 > to the four nic (2 DMZs) for now until we add some more
132 > static/routable IPs. Give me a little time to get
133 > organized.
134 >
135 > sincerely,
136 >