From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Problem cross compiling modular X
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:19:27
1 * Ryan Baldwin <ryan.baldwin@××××××××××.com> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > This then leads onto the next problem emerge'ing 'libX11'.
6 >
7 > 'checking whether malloc(0) returns NULL... configure: error: cannot
8 > run test program while cross compiling'.
9
10 Not an Gentoo issue. The upstream packages are *broken*.
11
12 I'm fighting against those things for several years now. Because
13 upstream of many packages isn't quite interested in getting my
14 patches in (or too slow), I've founded my own QM project:
15
16 * http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
17
18 You'll find many patches (ie. for Xorg packages) here:
19
20 * http://patches.metux.de/
21
22 I'd love to see you in on our side @ oss-qm. Please join our
23 Mailinglist.
24
25 <snip>
26
27 > I'm quite new to cross compiling. I can see what the problem is
28 > - configure cant run any programs in the target environment to
29 > fill out config.guess - because its running on the host.
30
31 Autoconf is dumb. And some people writing autoconf input files
32 are even more dumb. Sorry if it sounds offending, but its true.
33
34 Although, the autotools collection claims to be suited for
35 cross-compiling, it actually isn't. At least not cleanly.
36 Clean crosscompiling (aka in an sysroot-environment) does not
37 work without deeper changes. So, for example, I had to write
38 my own libtool implementation, because the original one is not
39 capable of doing sysroot'ed builds. Also many other standard
40 macros are broken. The assumption, host root and build root
41 already is broken design, as well as the assumption, the
42 toolchains for host and target system were equal.
43 (ie. that's why mysql can't be crosscompiled: it brings some
44 code generator, which is built with the target toolchain,
45 and of course this can never work when crosscompiling).
46
47 > Is there any well known way of working around this other then
48 > trying to manually write a config.guess for the packages that
49 > can't configure themselves for the target environment?
50
51 Fix configure.in. As I did.
52 See my patch repository.
53
54 Please join the oss-qm mailing list, and I'll tell you more.
57 cu
58 --
60 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
62 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
63 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
64 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
65 http://patches.metux.de/
67 --
68 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list