From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Natanael Copa <mlists@××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc don't compile with USE="hardened"
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:08:20
1 Another uclibc user on irc said this probably stems from using 2.6.x
2 headers.
3 My uclibc hardened toolchain is built with 2.4.x headers.
4
5 On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 18:25, Natanael Copa wrote:
6 > On 10 Aug 2004 16:46:32 -0400
7 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > > I've run into this when using spanky's stages.
10 > > Oddly enough it does not happen for me when I started with the
11 > > initial hardened stage1 from Peter, nor any time I remerge uclibc and
12 > > I use the hardened exclusively. Anyway chances of a user getting
13 > > his/her userland correct when using a non hardened-uclibc stage are
14 > > probably slim, unless your willing to recompile everything a few
15 > > times. The default method in the future will be to start from a
16 > > hardened-uclibc stage.
17 >
18 > To be honest, I dont *really* know what the hardened USE flag does. I
19 > tried to find some docs on that but could not find anything really.
20 >
21 > I'm testing out uClibs gentoo as a framework or build environment for
22 > building a bering (http://leaf.sf.net) like cdrom. (you boot a kernel
23 > and provide a list of runtime packages that are extracted into ram and
24 > then you run) Now I use gentoo (glibc) on my dektop and runs a chrooted
25 > uclibc gentoo therein. Will I need to run a hardened kernel to be able
26 > to build my cd?
27 >
28 > > Anyway if you want a binary pkgs of a hardened uclibc toolchain I can
29 > > post them for you. From then on you should be able to recompile your
30 > > world correctly.
31 >
32 > That would be nice.
33 >
34 > > Oh and let me know when you have a patch that fixes this.
35 >
36 > s/when/if/ :)
37 >
38 > I guess I have to start with finding out what the hardened USE flag
39 > really does... any links to start with? I'll do some investigation
40 > tomorrow morning.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Natanael Copa
44 >
45 > --
46 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
47 --
48 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
49 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer