From: Dave Bender <codehero@×××××.com>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Emerging into SYSROOT causes packages to install in host system
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 14:35:21
1 On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 April 2008, Dave Bender wrote:
3 >> That is currently the solution I use for x86. The drawbacks are
4 >> slower compilation performance (cross compilers running on 64 bit
5 >> empirically seem faster) and other overhead caused by chrooting. The
6 >> approach also does not extend to other architectures like ARM.
7 >> Essentially this approach is a lightweight emulation; taken to its
8 >> fullest extent you would be running QEMU to build for these other
9 >> architectures.
10 >
11 > you could distcc with the host system. i dont know about "other overhead
12
13 That's an interesting suggestion, I'll look into it.
14
15 > caused by chrooting" though ... being in a chroot really adds no overhead at
16 > all. while you can argue the non-native point if you were targeting
17
18 When I use 32bit chroots, some factor slows down file I/O a great
19 deal. For example I notice that emerge -uDN takes much
20 longer to do in a 32bit chroot. I use mount bind to share the
21 /usr/portage directory with the chroot, so I don't think its that
22 mechanism.
23 All I know is that updating inside the chroot is much slower.
24
25 > something non-native, Matthijs point is pretty clear: since you can easily do
26 > native, you probably should as over all it will be a much smoother
27 > development cycle.
28
29 Of course working natively always presents the fewest headaches. What
30 bugs me is that it seems so easy from the Embedded Handbook...
31
32 > -mike
35 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list