From: Jean-Marc Beaune <jm.beaune@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Hardware setup choice
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:01:30
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to get some recomendation from you, gurus of the embedded world re
4 the hardware choice I should make.
5
6 I built a weather station driven by a microcontroler that sends weather data
7 via RS232 to a Gentoo box installed on a Soekris.
8 To my opinion this setup is a bit heavy and I'd rather have linux, or should
9 I say, as it is my favorite distro, Gentoo embedded to decrease space and
10 energy requirements.
11
12 What I need is a device with one or two serial ports, one ethernet port and
13 low power consumption as it would run on batteries (even if batteries would
14 be reloaded with solar panels).
15 What hardware could I use (knowing that I have more or less no experience
16 with embedded systems so that would also be a learning project)?
17
18 Thanks,
19 --
20 Jean-Marc