From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: Heath Holcomb <hholcomb@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Basic Questions
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:20:06
1 Heath Holcomb (hholcomb@×××××××××.com) scribbled:
2 > 1. How long away is a stable Gentoo Embedded System?
3
4 Depends on how much help there is ;-)
5
6 > 2. Is there going to be documentation, specificaly x86 based with some kind
7 > of non voltile flash (DiskOnChip, Compact Flash)?
8
9 The storage method is going to be dependent on the manufacturer of the
10 board. They should provide instructions for how to download the image
11 (tftp, etc) and how to write to non-volatile memory. Any documentation
12 on this side would be gentoo specific aspects of how to build the
13 toolchain, kernel, and initrd image. There is already a _lot_ out there
14 on these topics.
15
16 I am no authority on this, I'm learning just like you. Hopefully
17 someone will take the time to correct me if I'm wrong. :)
18
19 > Any comments on anything relative.
20
21 Seems like building the toolchain with crossdev (in portage) is a good
22 first step. Which is what I'm working on in my spare time. And yes,
23 it's been sparse the past week or two...
24
25 hth,
26
27 Cooper.