From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Correct uclibc profile to use?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:21:19
1 Ed W wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> You appear to be using KMail which supports html mail just fine...
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> which ive disabled so i dont have to deal with it. replies/quoting easily
8 >> break and destroy followups. all so people can force their preferred viewing
9 >> font on others.
12 > Actually, getting all technical on you for a moment, but at least in
13 > theory HTML has the ability to properly support replies and quoting as
14 > part of it's standard
15 >
16 > ...Absolutely with you though that the most popular MUA in most circles
17 > is Outlook and this fails even to reply and create a proper indent let
18 > alone using decent use of HTML tags... Oh well.
21 Ed,
22
23 This is an embedded technical list, most are avid Linux supporters if
24 not Gentoo directly. It is a common convention to post without html,
25 as it does cause folks to spend time on things they ordinarily would
26 not. I "hate" html email and many technical folks will just ignore your
27 postings.
31 > Not really sure what Thunderbird does - it prompts sometimes and
32 > othertimes does it's own thing.. Hope this is plain text?
33 >
34 >> if you want to make the argument on a non-technical list, go for it. open
35 >> source technical lists (such as this one) have all banned html. get with it
36 >> or dont post.
39 > I already nailed my colours to the mast as someone who cares (remember I
40 > serve customers with only 20KB/minute of bandwidth!) - I was pointing
41 > out that this debate pops up time and time again and basically it's like
42 > trying to hold back the tide...
43 >
44 > For what it's worth I have a very clever filtering setup as part of my
45 > ISP arrangement which simply automatically converts html to plain text
46 > and archives the original so that you can get it back again if you need
47 > it, etc. I think if you really want plain text only then it's far
48 > easier to just setup the mailing list to convert all mails automatically
49 > than it is to try and badger users to change their habits...
50
51 Again, no body usually wants to spend their time on such matters.
52 Folks will just ignore you, or ban you from the list (are you listening ?)
55 > Personally I think this is a problem solvable by computer and I'm all in
56 > favour of stuff where teh computer does the work rather than humans
57 > having to press one more key just to do something (which is basically
58 > also your complaint). I can point you towards some html flattener
59 > software if you are the admin for this list?
60
61 I agree with the other posters. NO HTML EMAILs.
65 James
66 --
67 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list