From: Sven Rebhan <odinshorse@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Android phones
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:43:23
1 2009/10/30 wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
2 > Hello,
3
4 Hey!
5
6 > Can the gentoo embedded, openmoko, or any other
7 > embedded linux stack run on the (verizon) Android
8 > (verizon droid) phone?
9
10 The openmoko overlay does not have any ebuild for Android
11 and i doubt any other overlay has so far. But if you are
12 willing to provide ebuilds... ;-)
13
14 > Isn't the Android(2.0) phone just somebody's Linux
15 > stack? If so, is it an open/hackable embedded
16 > linux stack for an Arm?
17
18 And here the trouble starts. Android only uses the Linux
19 kernel, but the userland has nothing to do with a GNU/Linux
20 userland AFAIK. I had no deeper look, but you probably
21 need another toolchain option... many ebuilds... and I'm
22 not even sure you can completelty rebuild Android as some
23 parts are proprietary IIRC.
26 > James
27
28 Sven