From: Martin Guy <martinwguy@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] arm-unknown-elf
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:06:03
1 On 3/29/09, Martin Gysel <m.gysel@×××.ch> wrote:
2 > afaik arm-softfloat-elf should also work and should be used as the STM32
3 > doesn't have a floating point unit... (I use it on a luminary board)
4 > what I'm still wondering, how do I enable the arm EABI?
5
6 Normally, you set the fourth field of the GNU architecture name to
7 -gnueabi instead of -gnu, such as arm-blah-linux-gnueabi. I have also
8 seen arm-none-eabi quoted as building successfully, but know nothing
9 of this.
10
11 > do I have to configure this at build time
12
13 That is the usual way
14
15 > can it be done through a compiler switch
16
17 You can also select EABI with appropriate command-line switches to any
18 GNU ARM compiler (from 4.1.1 on), but this is unusual. You normally
19 build the compiler to the system-wide default that you need.
20
21 > afaik you need EABI if you want to link you code against libraries which were build with a different compiler, say IAR
22
23 You need EABI if you want to link against other EABI binaries. The ABI
24 is a set of conventions for where you put parameters to function
25 calls, and where results are returned (on the stack? in registers?
26 which registers?) plus stuff like how objects must be aligned in
27 memory, how structure elements are laid out, the default size in bytes
28 of enums (a byte? a word?) and so on.
29
30 Lots of details are at wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
31
32 M