From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:53:04
1 On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:05, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:05:54PM +0100, Vano D wrote:
3 > > I also hope to see a subproject of gentoo-embedded be tiny gentoo
4 > > installations as someone suggested before (i.e. using glibc) for use
5 > > with bootable cdroms, small installations (solid state discs) and
6 > > portage-dev-less installations. And why not also include the process of
7 > > a bootalbe cdrom also in the subproject? Although I am aware it gets a
8 > > bit off-topic.
9
10 It is off topic, but the stuff we do for embedded is applicable there.
11 I suppose it could end up as a subproject.
12
13 > For these embedded systems it would be nice if we had a
14 > baselayout-lite. I'm not convinced every init script for these tiny
15 > processors needs to source 300+ lines of bash functions to just
16
17 I agree with this. I'm not sure if it would be better to maintain our
18 own baselayout-lite, or if it would be better to try to make an option
19 for the current baselayout to make a tiny install. My instincts tell me
20 the former, but I don't think it would be too fun to maintain. :\
23 Chris PeBenito
24 <pebenito@g.o>
25 Developer, SELinux
26 Hardened Gentoo Linux
27 Embedded Gentoo Linux
28
29 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
30 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243