From: Ryan Baldwin <ryan.baldwin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] Problem cross compiling modular X
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:02:32
1 Hi,
2
3 Thanks for your replies people.
4
5 >why are you at all cross-compiling, you have the same arch, use simply an
6 >uClibc chroot
7
8 Ultimately I want target other arch's, probably ARM. For the time being
9 though I happen to be targeting the same arch.
10
11 After the previous reply -
12
13 >that all depends on whether you setup your build environment properly
14 >in an ideal world:
15 > - only RDEPEND stuff goes into /tmp/target/
16 > - only DEPEND stuff goes into /usr/$CTARGET/
17 >so to address the issue, you could do:
18 >ROOT=/usr/$CTARGET/ emerge <X header packages> ROOT=/tmp/target/ emerge <X
19 >server/etc...> -mike
20
21 I ended up finding a lot more stuff that has helped me immensely and I am
22 now getting quite close to my first objective.
23
24 Something that continues to baffle me though is that on this mailing list
25 people have referred to cross compiling modular X and having got it up and
26 running.
27
28 I can't see how this can be done without setting up a portage overlay and
29 modifying the ebuilds for several of the packages under x11-libs/(at least)
30 to take the steps detailed in http://wiki.x.org/wiki/CrossCompilingXorg . So
31 far I have created modified ebuilds in my overlay dir to pass
32 --enable-malloc0returnsnull to ./configure where required and to set
33 CC_FOR_BUILD and apply the patches from that page. This has then allowed me
34 to cross compile those packages.
35
36 What baffles me is that from what I read on this list perhaps I shouldn't
37 need to do this, is there a portage overlay available somewhere that does
38 this already? If so I cant find it. If anyone could give many any clused
39 with regard to this, or let me know the steps they take to cross compile
40 modular X then that would be a great help.
43 Thanks
44 Ryan
47 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list