From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GenOM (Gentoo on Openmoko)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:15:31
1 Hi Zuber
2
3 On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:06 AM, <zuber@××××××.ch> wrote:
4 > to help during compilation. But the big problem is the configure script,
5 > it takes ages to complete.
6
7 One reason you might have noticed that configure takes a really long
8 time to execute on an embedded computer, is that you're running
9 configure on the '/' filesystem.
10
11 Configure is constantly creating and deleting files, basically 1 for
12 each test it performs, which can be really slow on many block devices
13 (particularly flash).
14
15 These days, when I emerge, either on my desktop or on an ARM board, I
16 always try to do it in /tmp, which I've mounted as tmpfs (i.e. ram).
17
18 However, for big builds, you run the risk of over-allocating ram,
19 which can crash linux.
20
21 I wouldn't try this for perl, in any case, unless the embedded device
22 has a few hundred MB of ram, but for smaller packages that need to be
23 natively compiled (i.e. bash) it works very well.
24
25 Cheers
26
27 Chris
28
29 PS: lf you still want to try compiling in RAM,
30 mount -t tmpfs none /tmp
31 export PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/tmp
32
33 I actually use a similar environment full-time on my 8G eee pc