From: Nico Erfurth <ne@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo Embedded and GPL Compliance
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:24:18
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm currently working as a freelancer for a company, building a
4 x86-based networking appliance. I've chosen Gentoo embedded as a
5 base-system, and I'm pretty happy with it.
6
7 But now the release day is coming closer and we have to think about
8 making everything GPL compliant. Can anybody tell me whats the prefered
9 way to do that?
10
11 My first thought was to provide a build-script and a portage overlay,
12 containing all packages we had to patch. I think thats the most useable
13 way, but it requires that the user has gentoo installed. But when
14 someone takes the GPL strictly by the letter we would have to provide
15 any sourcecode used to build every firmware-version. The problem here
16 is, that not all .ebuilds stay in gentoo forever. OTOH, all .ebuilds not
17 provided by us (because we needed to add a patch or had to add a
18 completly new package) were in portage at a given time.
19
20 So, if anybody has experience with this, please share it. :)
21
22 TIA
23 Nico
26 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list