From: "Lutz Schönemann" <lutz.schoenemann@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloader for Embedded System
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:17:00
1 Okay, now Lilo loads the first stage and returns the error-code 99. The
2 man-page contains a paragraph containing the error codes:
3 99 invalid second stage index sector
4 and a detailed description:
5 "... Errors 99 and 9A usually mean the map file (-m or map=) is not
6 readable, likely because LILO was not re-run after some system change,
7 or there is a geometry mis-match between what LILO used (lilo -v3 to
8 display) and what is actually being used by the BIOS (one of the lilo
9 diagnostic disks, available in the source distribution, may be needed to
10 diagnose this problem). ..."
11
12 But how can I get the right device-map needed for my embedded system? I
13 tried to create a CF card with the diagnostic disks data (writing on CF
14 instead of wirting to /dev/sd0) but the system doesn't even boot with
15 this CF-Card.
16
17 Lutz
18
19 Ned Ludd wrote:
20 > I always used lilo for this task. I found grub to be way to problematic
21 > and BIG. On x86 I'd chroot into the CF and run lilo. It can be tricky
22 > and a tad confusing at times till you make that mental map of where the
23 > devices live. Note be careful or you could end up killing the wrong
24 > boot sector or device.
25 >
26 > My CF was my /dev/sdb but CF is IDE so I needed a conf like this.
27 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/local/local/customize/etc/lilo.conf
28 >
29 > The kernel got installed to sdb1->hda1 and sdb2->hda2 was used as the
30 > ROOT file system.
31 >
32 > I also used these two scripts to speed up the task.
33 >
34 > (Format the CF)
35 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/fdisk_cf_flash
36 >
37 > (Copy the FS to flash and run the bootloader)
38 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/embedded/flash_cf_disk
39 >
40 > .. good luck.