From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Correct uclibc profile to use?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:08:16
1 On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Ed W wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > >> You appear to be using KMail which supports html mail just fine...
4 > >
5 > > which ive disabled so i dont have to deal with it. replies/quoting
6 > > easily break and destroy followups. all so people can force their
7 > > preferred viewing font on others.
8 >
9 > Actually, getting all technical on you for a moment, but at least in
10 > theory HTML has the ability to properly support replies and quoting as
11 > part of it's standard
12
13 i'm not saying that html isnt capable, just that the reality is, the clients
14 that generate it do so in an unusable manner. it is also useless and hates a
15 lot on transforming into other random interfaces
16
17 > > if you want to make the argument on a non-technical list, go for it.
18 > > open source technical lists (such as this one) have all banned html. get
19 > > with it or dont post.
20 >
21 > I already nailed my colours to the mast as someone who cares (remember I
22 > serve customers with only 20KB/minute of bandwidth!) - I was pointing
23 > out that this debate pops up time and time again and basically it's like
24 > trying to hold back the tide...
25
26 sorry, i didnt mean for my reply to sound like i was directing it at you. the
27 answer was meant in general. there is no discussion to have as we already
28 have a policy and it isnt going to change.
29 -mike