From: Jan Kobler <eng1@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo on TI embedded ARM board - is it possible?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:05:29
1 Hi,
2
3 1. You should also consider Openembedded www.openembedded.org.
4 This is a true cross-compilation framework. You can take a fast
5 multicore x86_64 host and build software for all kind of targets.
6
7 The build-tool bitbake was inspired by Portage:
8 http://docs.openembedded.org/bitbake/html/ch01.html
9
10 The config files for the supported hardware are:
11 http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/conf/machine
12
13 The TMS320DM356 is supported by
14 conf/machine/dm365-evm.conf
15 http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/conf/machine/dm365-evm.conf
16
17 Just set
18 MACHINE="dm365-evm"
19 DISTRO="angstrom-2010.x"
20 in your local.conf file and call
21 bitbake minimal-image
22
23 But I have not yet built for the target dm365-evm.
24
25 The description how I have used Openembedded for the i.MX35 is:
26 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Openembedded
27 and for the MPC5125 is:
28 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Freescale_TWR-MPC5125/Openembedded
29
30 2. I have tried to use Gentoo for cross compilation on x86_64 or x86
31 hosts for arm and ppc targets. There has been always at least one
32 software package which cannot be cross-compiled. You have to fix this
33 before you can go on.
34
35 The description how I have tried to cross-compile Gentoo for the i.MX35
36 is: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Gentoo/Desktop
37
38 3. You can try to use qemu and emulate the native cross-compilation
39 as described in
40 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml?part=1&chap=5
41
42 4. You can compile native on the target by using stage3, but are you
43 sure that you want to do it all the time? Do you have enough memory
44 there? Do you have swap space? Is the CPU fast enough?
45 Do you have always the right board at hand?
46
47 5. There is also another true cross-compilation framework from
48 Pengutronix http://pengutronix.de/index_en.html. The description how I
49 have used it for the i.MX35 is:
50 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Phytec_phyCORE-iMX35/Pengutronix/Embedded
51
52 Pengutronix supports ARM, but I don't know, if it already supports the
53 TMS320DM365.
54
55 I hope this helps.
56