From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] some uClibc experience
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:07:21
1 On 12 Nov 2003, Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 16:31, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
4 > > There are problems building some of the binaries with propolice enabled
5 > > gcc, mainly the .hidden support in binutils has to be "hidden" from gcc,
6 > > but as I can see (read), the glibc version does not work flawlessly
7 > > either.
8 > >
9 > Have you successfully used ssp with uclibc?
10 It worked (somehow, not quite correct, and some packages where not
11 rebuildable) at the time where uClibc had support for LIBGCC_FUNCTIONS
12 (adding functions from libgcc to libc) This was the only way I got a
13 system running it (__guard and __smash... where added to libc). Since then
14 I cannot modify buildroot so that I get a system running, segfaults on all
15 the line (tested only with gcc-3.3.x and protector 3.3-5). I think the
16 solution would be to add the needed functions to uClibc (and remove them
17 from libgcc!!!).
18
19 > > 1. UPX works too (I have built 1.91-cvs), the compression is not so good,
20 > > as with prebuilt binaries (NRV is not free), but works also on kernel
21 > > images (bzImage)
22 >
23 > Would this have a big advantage over say cramfs support? I would assume
24 > that most compressed file systems or executable packers also tend to use
25 > more memory on access whihc could lead to an ever slower system.
26 UPX developer says, that the uncompression does not cost much, didn't
27 really tested it. I do not have cramfs experience.
28
29 > > 3. The uClibc toolchain is not uptodate, but the buildroot is already used
30 > > by the developers themselves to create development images, so the infos on
31 > > cross-building are there and tested already.
32 >
33 > Please take a look at the 0.9.22 ebuild in portage. The wrappers for
34 > gcc,c++,ld,ldd,ar,etc are all missing and I don't know why. I've checked
35 > the detail/changelogs on the uclibc.org site and see no mention of this
36 > what so ever.
37 The wrappers are for ever gone. Use the procedure from buildroot (the
38 toolchain building from here).
39
40 Peter
43 Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m@×××.net> ID: 0xA5F059F2 NIC: IXUYHSKQLI
44 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
48 Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
49 Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu
52 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list