From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] some uClibc experience
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:07:21
On 12 Nov 2003, Ned Ludd wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 16:31, Peter S. Mazinger wrote: > > There are problems building some of the binaries with propolice enabled > > gcc, mainly the .hidden support in binutils has to be "hidden" from gcc, > > but as I can see (read), the glibc version does not work flawlessly > > either. > > > Have you successfully used ssp with uclibc?
It worked (somehow, not quite correct, and some packages where not rebuildable) at the time where uClibc had support for LIBGCC_FUNCTIONS (adding functions from libgcc to libc) This was the only way I got a system running it (__guard and __smash... where added to libc). Since then I cannot modify buildroot so that I get a system running, segfaults on all the line (tested only with gcc-3.3.x and protector 3.3-5). I think the solution would be to add the needed functions to uClibc (and remove them from libgcc!!!).
> > 1. UPX works too (I have built 1.91-cvs), the compression is not so good, > > as with prebuilt binaries (NRV is not free), but works also on kernel > > images (bzImage) > > Would this have a big advantage over say cramfs support? I would assume > that most compressed file systems or executable packers also tend to use > more memory on access whihc could lead to an ever slower system.
UPX developer says, that the uncompression does not cost much, didn't really tested it. I do not have cramfs experience.
The wrappers are for ever gone. Use the procedure from buildroot (the toolchain building from here). Peter -- Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m@×××.net> ID: 0xA5F059F2 NIC: IXUYHSKQLI Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2 ____________________________________________________________________ Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol. Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list