From: Thomas Drueke <tdrueke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] crossdev problem
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:02:34
Hi,

recently I tried to use crossdev to build a toolchain for
"armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi".
The build fails for glibc with

     * Messages for package
cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/glibc-2.12.2:
     * Could not find a gcc that supports the __thread directive!
     * Please update your binutils/gcc and try again.
     * ERROR: cross-armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/glibc-2.12.2 failed
(unpack phase):
     *   No __thread support in gcc!

What fails is a compilation test executed in

    /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/src_unpack.eblit - function
"check_nptl_support".
    -> /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/files/eblits/common.eblit - function
"want__thread"
         -> /usr/portage/eclass/toolchain-funcs.eclass - function
"tc-has-tls" -> "tc-getCC"

I haven't found a log showing the outcome of the compilation making the
available information
restricted somehow.

I tried different approaches for crossdev starting with

    crossdev -t armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi

then stated the versions of the host system on the command line:

    crossdev -t armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi --g 4.4.5 --l 2.12.2 --k
2.6.39 --b 2.21.1

and browsed the web for a couple of suggested combinations. So far none
worked on my machine.

I wonder if ThreadLocalStorage is supported for ArmV7a or maybe I'm
missing an environment variable ?

Regards,
Thomas