From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GenOM (Gentoo on Openmoko)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:01:58
1 Perl is a real PITA to cross-compile. I would almost suggest that you
2 don't bother... I have the same sentiment for more recent Python
3 versions too.
4
5 Is there something specific that you need to compile perl from stratch
6 for? Can you just use an older version that does potentially
7 cross-compile? Would you be happy just installing a binary package
8 into your SYSROOT (i.e. /usr/armv4t-softfloat-linux-gnueabi)?
9
10 There are binary packages available through a link here:
11
12 http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Gentoo
13
14 If you absolutely need to compile it, then why don't you just set up a
15 native compilation environment? Cross-compile gcc, portage, etc for
16 armv4t, and any other dependencies of perl, and then boot the
17 FreeRunner from your new kernel into a root filesystem that you've
18 populated with all of the previous binary packages you've compiled.
19 Then you should be able to 'emerge perl', although it will likely take
20 a long time.
21
22 Cheers,
23