From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] device node problem
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:16:58
1 On Thursday 08 January 2009 13:44:32 Jakub Ladman wrote:
2 > please be patient with my stupid question.
3 >
4 > I have switched my embedded gentoo system to udev and now i have trouble
5 > with one device driver.
6 >
7 > This is lincan from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocera
8 >
9 > it is a character device with major 91 and minor 0 and 1 numbers, if i use
10 > mknod i can have functional device nodes, but after reboot udev discards
11 > it.
12 >
13 > I am googling any manual to udev, that may help me, but i understand it
14 > not. Can't find how to write rule to make node from major minor numbers.
15
16 udev doesnt "discard" device nodes. Gentoo by default runs a fs out of ram
17 for /dev so anything created there is lost after a reboot. if the device
18 driver isnt triggering userspace to create a device node, then most likely it
19 is broken and needs fixing.
20
21 you can add a simple `mknod` statement to your /etc/conf.d/local (or
22 local.start).
23
24 you can use `udevadm monitor` to see the events the driver is sending to
25 userspace when you load the module. for more info though, you really should
26 ask on the udev mailing lists as this question really isnt embedded related.
27 -mike