From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] overlay-specific keywords / use flags for cross-compiling
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:39:36
1 Is your $SYSROOT the same as your $PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT?
2
3 Cuz portage only looks in $PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT and cares nothing of
4 $SYSROOT..
7 On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 00:12 +0100, Christopher Friedt wrote:
8 > Hi everyone,
9 >
10 > I've set up a 'build root' that I can chroot into for cross development.
11 > There is also a directory of targets to compile for, and for each
12 > target, a series of different configurations.
13 >
14 > When I chroot into my buildroot my 'enter_chroot' script will
15 > automatically mount -o bind each of the sysroot, binpkgs, and overlay
16 > directories for a specified configuration, as well as mount -o bind the
17 > portage tree itself.
18 >
19 > So my directory structure looks something like this:
20 >
21 > gentoo-crossdev-buildroot/
22 > enter_chroot.sh
23 > (mounts proc, mounts -o bind portage/sysroot/binpkg/overlay etc)
24 > portage/
25 > ... (the portage tree)
26 > buildroot/
27 > ... (all cross compilation tools and a stage1 filesystem)
28 > targets/
29 > arm-9tdmi-linux-gnu/
30 > cross-toolchain/
31 > configurations/
32 > reference/
33 > overlay/
34 > binpkgs/
35 > sysroot/
36 > client1/
37 > ...
38 > client2/
39 > ...
40 > arm-9tdmi-linux-uclibc/
41 > cross-toolchain/
42 > configurations/
43 > reference/
44 > overlay/
45 > binpkgs/
46 > sysroot/
47 > client1/
48 > ...
49 > client2/
50 > ...
51 >
52 > What I'm hoping to do is leverage the power of portage overlays here,
53 > and make it possible to have different package customizations for each
54 > client and each platform that my company deals with.
55 >
56 > It doesn't take a lot to see that this is a great way to minimize
57 > maintenance.
58 >
59 > My problem though, is that when doing cross development (I use the
60 > xmerge scrypt and set a SYSROOT variable), I have noticed that when I
61 > set new flags in $SYSROOT/etc/portage/package.use, it's not noticed
62 > properly during emerge.
63 >
64 > I'm hoping that portage can be flexible enough to acknowlege those use
65 > flags. The xmerge script (taken from one of the gentoo cross development
66 > guides online) properly sets the PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT variable, ROOT, etc,
67 > so I don't understand why it doesn't acknowlege the changes in
68 > $SYSROOT/etc/portage/package.use.
69 >
70 > Any suggestions?
73 > Regards,