From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] quickpkg and PKG_INSTALL_MASK
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:39:19
1 On Mon, 2011-12-26 at 19:03 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > solar <solar@g.o> wrote on 2011/12/25 18:52:52:
3 > >
4 > > On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 11:34 +0200, Kfir Lavi wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > >
7 > > > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Joakim Tjernlund
8 > > > <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > I got the impression from docs that PKG_INSTALL_MASK would
11 > > > actually
12 > > > mask files out so they never get into the binary package, this
13 > > > doesn't
14 > > > seem to happen.
15 > > > Did I misunderstand? If I did, I think an MASK to do the above
16 > > > would be a worthy addition to quickpkg, very useful for
17 > > > embedded targets to keep the pkg size down.
18 > > > Also PKG_INSTALL_KEEP which would list files keep(rest is
19 > > > dropped) would be nice.
20 > > >
21 > > > Oh, something else I wonder about. How does pre/post install
22 > > > work with
23 > > > quickpkgs? Is it possible to have such scripts and then have
24 > > > qmerge execute
25 > > > them?
26 > > >
27 > > > Jocke
28 > > >
29 > > >
30 > > > Yes, PKG_INSTALL_MASK on time of installation will mask the files
31 > > > defined in it.
32 > > > Binary package do contain all files, even the masked files.
33 > > > Kfir
36 > > $PKG_INSTALL_MASK is supposed to omit the files in it's list from making
37 > > it into the binary pkgs in the first place. The idea there was to make
38 > > smaller binary pkgs for embedded devices and such (for use only with
39 > > private repos).
40 > >
41 > > $INSTALL_MASK is supposed to omit the files listed in it from being
42 > > installed on the file system.
43 >
44 > Hi Solar, long time no see :)
45 >
46 > So the current behaviour is a bug, good to know.
47
48 I would not really call it a bug. *INSTALL_MASK is a portage feature
49 itself. quickpkg does not support all the features of portage itself.
50 You could/should file a feature request bug for quickpkg to add such
51 support. Maybe file a bug for portage-utils@ as well because I just
52 checked and looks like we never added support for PKG_INSTALL_MASK in
53 qpkg.c (c version of quickpkg)
56 > I am contemplating a greater problem too. Our system require we can install
57 > multiple versions of our SW and switch between them. This is easy to do when it
58 > comes to our own app but not when one want to upgrade core parts of the system, like
59 > libc etc.
60 >
61 > So I am thinking one could use --bind mounts and switch_root to solve that. Basically
62 > one has a skeleton root FS with /bin, /lib, /usr /opt etc.
63 > Each upgrade goes into dirs like:
64 > bin_1.x.y/ usr_1.x.y/ lib_1.x.y/ opt_1.x.y/ sbin_1.x.y/
65 > Then, from an initramfs, one selects which of xxx_1.x.y dir one wants to use
66 > and --bind mounts them under the corresponding skeleton dir.
67 >
68 > To do that one needs an way to repackage a root fs created by a bunch of different
69 > ebuilds, some of them spanning several of the above dirs, into a package per xx_1.x.y dir.
70 > Not sure if this can be done with the current portage/portage-utils and how, any
71 > ideas welcome :)
72 >
73 > Perhaps there is a better way then the above?
74 >
75 > Jocke
76
77 Not sure about all this.