From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] PPC embedded base package
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:02:41
1 On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 21:43 -0400, Anthony Russello wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I'm working on a base layout for an embedded system based on the
5 > Freescale 8241 chip, and was wondering what might be available in the
6 > world of gentoo for that purpose.
7 >
8 > Here are the requirements we've laid out:
9 >
10 > Read/write /etc (jffs2 filesystem)
11 > /var is a ramdisk, /tmp is a symlink to /var/tmp
12 > / is read only otherwise (cramfs filesystem)
13 You could go with squashfs here and save quite a bit more space.
14
15 > As far as apps, we basically just need:
16 >
17 > boa
18 boa is nice. note also busybox has an httpd that's cgi aware.
19
20 > busybox
21 By default our busybox is built with allsysconfig this enables most tools.
22
23 > samba 2.2.x (samba 3 requires additional libraries in the final image)
26 > sysvinit
27
28 I'm pretty sure you don't really need sysvinit with this kind of setup.
29 The init provided by busybox itself should be adequately sufficient.
30
31 > sqlite
32 > quota-tools
33
34 > sys-utils
35 Whats sys-utils?
36
37 > e2fsprogs
38 For mke2fs/tune2fs?
39
40 For jffs2 your going to want/need the sys-fs/mtd package as well.
43 > Now, we created one a while back using an axis chip, and they had a full
44 > development package that we just modified as needed. In the end we
45 > wound up with an image that had about 2 MB left over of the eight.
46 > RIght now, we're kind of starting fresh with an 8241 based system, so I
47 > wanted to get some input on what recommendations you might have.
51 > I've already been playing around with a custom thing from the ground up.
52 > But just in case, I'd like to see if there is something else we could
53 > look into.
54
55 i think that's how most of us got here. It's fun todo the super custom
56 ground up system for a little while. But it's nice to walk away and come
57 back 6 months or a year and not have to update every
58
59 > I've been using gentoo for quite some time now (since the 1.4 days) but
60 > I haven't been following the gentoo embedded list for the most part.
61 >
62 > Cheers,
63 > Anthony
64 >