From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 18:50:06
1 lör 2012-09-01 klockan 13:46 +0200 skrev Amadeusz Żołnowski:
2 > I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel initramfs
3 > generator would need to be named differently for either case, for
4 > example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or geninitfs.
8 Whatever you do, do NOT call it anything that reminds of initrd.
9 Genkernel has not been able to generate initrd/ramdisk-images since 2008
10 and Dracut has never have had that functionality. And people are really
11 confused over what is what, so please, keep use only initramfs to keep
12 confusion to a bare minimum.
13
14 When it comes to the rest:
15 You make som valid points. I am convinced that we need to refactor the
16 code in Genkernel, but I am not convinced that we need the split.
17
18 And on a side note: I really think that when someone thinks about adding
19 a option to Genkernel they should read Documents/kernel-parameters.txt
20 from the linux kernel tree. Using anything not documented there without
21 a really good reason (like there is no option there for what we try to
22 archieve) only creates more need for documentation. I also think that we
23 should work towards compability with that text-file to ensure that we do
24 not need one document for Genkernel and one for all other cases if it is
25 not necessary...
26
27 Regards
28 Peter Hjalmarsson