From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Re: [RFC] Genkernel4 and Geninitramfs plan
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:27:15
1 Hello,
2
3 Quoting Sebastian Pipping (2012-09-10 01:08:06)
4 > let's be clear about your goals for genkernel 5.x. Are you aiming at
5 > re-writing support for all of the current kernel options of genkernel
6 > below?
7 >
8 > I am wondering (and asking) because we cannot make a genkernel 5.x
9 > with just a small fraction of what genkernel 3.4.x already could do.
10
11 Yes, I am going to include all these feature plus extras, but I might
12 redesign options handling, for example instead of --[no-]menuconfig,
13 --[no-]gconfig I'd better use --configdialog=[menuconfig|gconfig]. It
14 should not be a problem, since a major release is being bumped and
15 initramfs handling is going to be different anyway.
18 > > My progress could be used with Dracut until it is fully usable and
19 > > then Geninitramfs support could added quickly.
20 > >
21 > > My goal is to write Genkernel4/5 quickly, simply and painlessly as
22 > > well as do the split of Genkernel and Geninitramfs. Where exactly
23 > > in the plan above is a real problem?
24 >
25 > If something is meant to be used with two backends, it's risky to
26 > develop for one and adding the other later. To save surprises, each
27 > feature should be made working for both backends plus you need a clear
28 > and complete overview of how operation, feature sets and interfaces
29 > differ among these two backends upfront.
30
31 This is not a problem, because initramfs generator is just being called
32 without any manipulation - all options for initramfs generator would be
33 passed as is. It would be best if user would configure Geninitramfs in
34 /etc/geninitramfs.conf and Dracut in /etc/dracut.conf.d/99user.conf and
35 these default config files would be used unless specified differently.
36 Options could be provided by user also in command line, for example:
37
38 genkernel [kerneloptions] -- [initramfsoptions]
41 > > Where you have to cope with complicated string manipulation in
42 > > Genkernel? And what number of lines has to do with it?
43 >
44 > Come on, are you seriously suggesting Bash for real software in 2012?
45 > There are no proper dictionaries in Bash, lists and seperators are a
46 > pain. Bash is a shell, good for ebuilds and scripts, and bad for real
47 > software.
48
49 I am suggesting appropiate tool for this task. Please explain me with
50 real arguments how Python would be better than Bash4. I have mentioned
51 altering boot manager configuration and parsing kernel.org already, but
52 that still doesn't promote Python for the whole Genkernel.
56 Amadeusz Żołnowski