From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Re: [RFC] Genkernel4 and Geninitramfs plan
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 21:47:18
1 Quoting Sebastian Pipping (2012-09-09 22:38:13)
2 > On 09/09/2012 09:50 PM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
3 > > It helps that you don't care about Genkernel4 and Geninitramfs yet
4 > > until Genkernel4 is ready for users.
5 > >
6 > > 1) I implement Genkernel4 working with Dracut (might take some time)
7 > > 2) Genkernel4 is ready for use
8 > >
9 > > Until now Genkernel3 development is not interfered.
10 > >
11 > > 3) Genkernel3 development is frozen (only bug fixes)
12 > > 4) Genkernel3 is moved, as I have described earlier, to Geninitramfs
13 > > (this is going to be quick)
14 > > 5) I make Genkernel4 support Geninitramfs (this is going to be
15 > > quick)
16 > >
17 > > There's no need for any wrapper.
18 >
19 > that approach sounds closer to big bang than many small steps.
20
21 While for many small steps we will need an eternity.
24 > If genkernel4 takes a year to complete, no one can use your progress
25 > combined with the current initramfs creation.
26
27 My progress could be used with Dracut until it is fully usable and then
28 Geninitramfs support could added quickly.
29
30 My goal is to write Genkernel4/5 quickly, simply and painlessly as well
31 as do the split of Genkernel and Geninitramfs. Where exactly in the
32 plan above is a real problem?
35 > Personally, I would rather like to see features moved step by step
36 > from geninitramfs up to genkernel and dracut integration being added
37 > in parallel, too.
38
39 There are no features to be moved if you have read my plan carefully.
40 Please try to understand my initial idea because with every answer I
41 have a feeling we divert from it too much.
42
43 - Gentoo initramfs generator is going to be extracted from Genkernel
44 and it is going start its own life under Geninitramfs name.
45 - Genkernel4/5 is going to use Geninitramfs or Dracut to generate
46 initramfs. It will just call one of them appropriately.
49 > I have just created a fully functional pass-through wrapper in Python
50 > on branch "split-genkernel-geninitramfs" [1]. With that as a basis we
51 > could start extracting kernel compilation from geninitramfs and move
52 > it to the wrapper and Python. When a new option "--dracut" is given,
53 > dracut is used instead. If we mark that feature "no warrantees", you
54 > could work on it in parallel and break as much as you like as long as
55 > the non-dracut mode works as usual. If you don't like that idea
56 > today, maybe you like it tomorrow :-)
57
58 I do not like this idea and I will not like it tomorrow or even day
59 after tomorrow. My initial plan is totally different from what you are
60 suggesting. Please not divert from it too much because the discussion
61 stops to make any sense. If you don't like my ideas and plan at all
62 lets just abandon it. I have already put an effort to describe and we
63 waste our precious time discussing something completely different.
66 > For complex software with much string handling I would not use Bash
67 > anymore. Bash is good for single-file things with say 100 lines but
68 > not for a better genkernel.
69
70 Where you have to cope with complicated string manipulation in
71 Genkernel? And what number of lines has to do with it?
72
73 I will write it again. Genkernel is mostly calling shell commands. The
74 parts where more complicated string manipulation takes place are:
75
76 a) boot manager entries adding/removing/updating
77 b) parsing kernel.org wrt step 01.b.
78
79 where for (a) awk would be best and for (b) Python would be best.
80
81 I'd like to write new Genkernel in Bash4 because this is the best tool
82 for that. If you think in categories of POSIX shell your arguments for
83 writing it in Python would make sense, but Bash4 can do much more than
84 old sh.
88 Amadeusz Żołnowski