From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-guis@l.g.o
Cc: lists@××××××.eu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-guis] Why I don't like catapult
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:39:53
1 On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:59:40 +0200
2 René 'Necoro' Neumann <lists@××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > Only one thing has to be solved: How is it possible to load additional
4 > "catapult providers" on the fly? - So similar to the dbus way: You
5 > install catapult and additional providers (e.g. catapult-portage) and
6 > then load the correct libs at runtime.
7 > I guess this can be answered by someone who has a deeper knowledge of
8 > C than me ;)
9
10 Unix, rather than C... dlopen. If you're using C++, make provider an
11 ABC and have a virtual ctor that dlopen()s .so files that export a
12 function to make a concrete subclass. If you're using C, use a struct
13 full of function pointers instead, and cry when you're forced to use
14 1970s style programming. Or use dlsym() a zillion times and cry even
15 more...
18 Ciaran McCreesh