From: Yuji Kosugi <carlos@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter - Volume 3, Issue 17
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:57:23
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
3 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
4 This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of April 26th, 2004.
5 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
6
7 ==============
8 1. Gentoo News
9 ==============
10
11 New apache maintainer and public mailing list
12 ---------------------------------------------
13
14 We're pleased to announce that Chuck Short[1] is the new maintainer of
15 Apache-related packages for Gentoo Linux, and leader of the newly-formed
16 Apache herd. Chuck succeeds Donny Davies, who is retiring from the Gentoo
17 Project. Chuck is being helped by a group of volunteers who responded to
18 our recent call for Apache maintainers. We hope that some of these will be
19 invited to become full Gentoo developers in the coming months.
20
21 1. zul@g.o
22
23 We've set up a new public mailing list for discussing the use of Gentoo on
24 webservers. It's also a place to share your thoughts about how we can
25 further improve Gentoo as a webserver platform. The mailing list is
26 gentoo-web-user@g.o; send a blank email to
29 Gentoo Linux seeking a new squid maintainer
30 -------------------------------------------
31
32 With the departure of Donny Davies, The Gentoo Linux Project is seeking a
33 new maintainer for squid[2]. We're looking for a dedicated developer with
34 experience with squid and writing ebuilds. You may want to search
35 Bugzilla[3] for squid-related bugs to get an idea of the kind of bugs
36 you'll have to deal with. If you're still interested, send an email to
37 recruiters@g.o.
38
39 2. http://www.squid-cache.org/
40 3. http://bugs.gentoo.org/
41
42 ==================
43 2. Gentoo Security
44 ==================
45
46 ipsec-tools and iputils contain a remote DoS vulnerability
47 ----------------------------------------------------------
48
49 racoon, which is included in the ipsec-tools and iputils packages in
50 Portage, does not check the length of ISAKMP headers. Attackers may be
51 able to craft an ISAKMP header of sufficient length to consume all
52 available system resoources, causing a Denial of Service.
53
54 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[4]
55
56 4. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200404-17.xml
57
58 =================================
59 3. Featured Developer of the Week
60 =================================
61
62 Donny Davies
63 ------------
64
65 (This article was contributed by developer Grant Goodyear[5])
66
67 5. g2boojum@g.o
68
69 This week one of Gentoo's senior developers, Donny Davies (woodchip),
70 retired with a message to the gentoo-dev mailing list stating "Because of
71 work and various other social commitments I can no longer fulfill my
72 duties as package maintainer for this project. As such, I wish to pass on
73 responsibilities to whomever wants the job." On behalf of the rest of the
74 Gentoo team, I wish Donny well in his new endeavors. I also wish to
75 acknowledge here some of woodchip's many accomplishments during his time
76 with Gentoo.
77
78 Donny became a Gentoo developer sometime during 2001. I had been a
79 developer for only a short time when woodchip joined, and my records of
80 that period are rather sketchy, so I'm not sure exactly when he joined.
81 (It would be possible to grep the cvs log to determine when Donny made his
82 first commit, but woodchip touched so many files that wading through the
83 log is a highly non-trivial exercise.) On 2 Sep 2001 he committed a samba
84 revision where he had stripped out svc support (once upon a time most
85 servers in Gentoo were setup to run from daemontools by default), so his
86 tenure has been at least that long.
87
88 My recollection is that one of woodchip's more impressive early feats was
89 the complete replacement of all of the init scripts in Portage for Gentoo
90 Linux 1.0_rc6. Through 1.0_rc5 Gentoo had used fairly standard rc scripts
91 modified from Stampede Linux, but for 1.0_rc6 Daniel Robbins (drobbins)
92 and Martin Schlemmer (azarah) had created a new dependency-based init
93 script system that is still used today. Within a span of days Donny
94 rewrote every single init script in the Portage tree and committed new
95 masked packages to await the release of 1.0_rc6. Thanks to woodchip (and
96 drobbins and azarah, of course) the transition to the new init scripts was
97 nearly painless.
98
99 Since then woodchip has been responsible for maintaining some of the most
100 vital packages in Portage. Solar recently posted a list [6] of all of the
101 packages that have woodchip's name in the ChangeLog, and the breadth of
102 packages that he has touched is truly impressive. Less visible, but
103 perhaps even more important, woodchip was the principle maintainer for the
104 Gentoo PAM, apache, and samba packages. As useful as PAM is for
105 simplifying authentication on a Linux system, the package itself is a
106 nightmare to maintain because for much of its life a great deal of the
107 package's most useful functionality has existed only as a barely-coherent
108 collection of redhat patches. At the same time, PAM is one package that is
109 never (well, hardly ever) allowed to break, since the result of a broken
110 PAM configuration is generally an inability to log into the machine.
111 Apache is a similarly vital package, and woodchip handled the transition
112 from Apache-1.x to Apache-2.x with considerable aplomb. The transparent
113 installation of Apache modules into the correct module directory along
114 with appropriately installed configuration fragments is entirely due to
115 Donny's careful shepherding. Similar care can be seen in the samba
116 package.
117
118 6.
119 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/17456/match=solar+woodchi
120 p
121
122 Donny, thank you very much for all that you have done for Gentoo, for your
123 willingness to answer all sorts of weird and naive questions, and for your
124 friendship. Gentoo will be much poorer without you. Best wishes.
125
126 =========================
127 4. Heard in the Community
128 =========================
129
130 Web Forums
131 ----------
132
133 New Forum Administrator
134
135 Since Wednesday 21 April, former moderator ian![7] is now giving the other
136 site admins a helping hand in keeping the Gentoo Forums fully functional.
137 Sadly, his new duties will also include the cancelation of a steady number
138 of user accounts that are being abused to spam the Forums each week...
139
140 7. http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15031
141
142 * [forums-announce] New administrator ian![8]
143 8. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=164038
146 gentoo-user
147 -----------
148
149 Portage Slotting 101
150
151 Here's[9] an informative thread about Portage and how "slotting" of
152 different package versions works.
153
154 9. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/76402
155
156 UTF-8 Console Fonts and More
157
158 International Gentooers may be interested in the UTF-8[10] thread that
159 blossomed into a detailed discussion of how non-english fontsets and
160 languages are handled in Gentoo.
161
162 10. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/75908
163
164 =======================
165 5. Gentoo International
166 =======================
167
168 Germany: German NFP Registered, Local Gentoo Merchandise Shop Opened
169
170 While Daniel Robbins is busy converting Gentoo into a not-for-profit
171 organisation on his side of the Atlantic, the German Gentoo developers
172 have finalised all the necessary steps for registering an almost identical
173 legal entity, called "eingetragener Verein" (registered association) under
174 the German law. It'll take the commercial courts another four to six weeks
175 to acknowledge the setup, but the association[11] is already operational,
176 has opened a bank account, and started raking in bushels of money via
177 their new online shop[12], whose main advantage over the Gentoo store[13]
178 in the US lies in its comparatively low-cost deliveries to customers in
179 Germany. Proceeds from the online sales are split between the manufacturer
180 of the goods on offer, and the association who'll reinvest the leftovers
181 in things like burning and printing LiveCDs to be thrown around the crowds
182 at events across Europe, and covering the costs for the increasing number
183 of Gentoo booths at those same trade fairs and conferences.
184
185 11. http://www.gentoo-ev.de
186 12. http://www.spreadshirt.de/shop.php?sid=22258
187 13. http://store.gentoo.org
188
189 UK: New Gentoo-UK IRC Channel Opened
190
191 The British Gentooistas have been lagging behind their European
192 neighbours, at least in creating regional Gentoo support sites. Now, even
193 if they cannot possibly be blamed for lacking the same type of online
194 activities (traditionally centered on translations of the English Gentoo
195 documentation), they could at least have agreed on a venue for their first
196 regional user meeting by now, let alone a date. But last week's creation
197 of a UK-specific IRC channel (#gentoo-uk on irc.freenode.net) on Freenode
198 by Edinburgh-based Gentoo developer Ciaran McCreesh should finally provide
199 a good starting point for future activities. Looking forward to their
200 announcements.
201
202 ==================
203 6. Tips and Tricks
204 ==================
205
206 Tips and Tricks is on hiatus this week.
207
208 ===========================
209 7. Moves, Adds, and Changes
210 ===========================
211
212 Moves
213 -----
214
215 The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
216
217 * Donny Davies (woodchip) - Apache and system components
218
219 Adds
220 ----
221
222 The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
223
224 * None this week
225
226 Changes
227 -------
228
229 The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
230 project:
231
232 * None this week
233
234 ====================
235 8. Contribute to GWN
236 ====================
237
238 Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an
239 email[14].
240
241 14. gwn-feedback@g.o
242
243 ===============
244 9. GWN Feedback
245 ===============
246
247 Please send us your feedback[15] and help make the GWN better.
248
249 15. gwn-feedback@g.o
250
251 ================================
252 10. GWN Subscription Information
253 ================================
254
255 To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
256 gentoo-gwn-subscribe@g.o.
257
258 To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
259 gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
260 subscribed under.
261
262 ===================
263 11. Other Languages
264 ===================
265
266 The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
267
268 * Danish[16]
269 * Dutch[17]
270 * English[18]