From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Help testing full end-to-end xattr support in portage
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:46:41
1 On 06/26/14 18:17, Luis Ressel wrote:
2 > My kernel has been XT-only for ages now, so no change required here. I
3 > installed install-xattr and applied the portage patch. So far I've
4 > reemerged python:2.7 - it worked fine and the duration was much more
5 > bearable than with the python-based install wrapper (down from 8
6 > minutes to 4 minutes, but still worse than the ~2 minutes in the good
7 > ol' days with vanilla install). I'll test more ebuilds in the next days.
8 >
9 > PS: I wonder if sys-apps/paxctl could be removed from the @system set
10 > now, as it's obsolete and superseded by elfix.
13 > Regards,
14 > Luis Ressel
17 There are two advantages to paxctl over paxctl-ng from elfix: 1) It
18 doesn't depend on elfutils to do its manipulation of elf phdr's. 2) It
19 does try to convert or create a PT_PAX_FLAGS phdr by either creating
20 (-C) or converting (-c) a PT_GNU_STACK phdr.
21
22 The advantage of paxctl-ng over paxctl is 1) it is designed to do both
23 PT_PAX and/or XATTR_PAX markings, 2) it is consciously designed to not
24 try to create/convert ELF phdr's.
25
26 If we ever drop the PT_PAX_FLAGS patch from binutils then paxctl would
27 no longer be needed and paxctl-ng can be reduced to just doing XATTR_PAX
28 markings.
29
30 One step at a time ;)
34 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.