From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SElinux
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:59:33
1 On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 11:24 -0600, Jason K Larson wrote:
2 > Is this the best method for all archs, or was this just the suggestion
3 > for AMD64?
4
5 You're talking about three different architectures so I'm a little
6 confused, but I'll try to answer anyway.
7
8 > I'm looking to deploy 2x PPC G4s as (secured) Internet Kiosks using
9 > hardened and selinux. The traffic will be controled by a third PPC G4
10 > that will act as a firewall/gateway for the other two running an
11 > iptables firewall.
12
13 There is no PPC pie-ssp SELinux profile, since no one has requested it.
14 In fact I only know of 1 or 2 people that even use SELinux on PPC other
15 then me (though that doesn't mean that there isn't more). I don't know
16 what the status of pie-ssp on non-x86 archs is.
17
18 > If I understand this correctly from watching the lists. The best method
19 > is to use the no-multilib profile and add the hardened (+pic +pie?) to
20 > USE flags and then follow the selinux guide to convert to selinux. Is
21 > it really that different to use a hardened profile?
22
23 The SELinux AMD64 profile is multilib, and there is no option for
24 no-multilib. If you try to convert a no-multilib system over to the
25 SELinux profile, I don't know what will happen. So if pie-ssp on AMD64
26 wants to be no-multilib, then you will be out of luck.
27
28 > Also, when converting to selinux, I noticed a
29 > selinux/2004.1/x86/hardened profile, while that doesn't help me for the
30 > PPC platform, is that a recommened route for my x86 boxes?
31
32 If you are looking for SELinux-pie-ssp, yes.
35 Chris PeBenito
36 <pebenito@g.o>
37 Developer,
38 Hardened Gentoo Linux
39 Embedded Gentoo Linux
40
41 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
42 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243