From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:47:39
1 On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 14:12, Jan Klod <janklodvan@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 25 November 2008 19:58:42 RB wrote:
3 >> KDE (and to a lesser extent X) pretty much nullifies most application
4 >> isolation efforts you're going to make.
5 >
6 > Well, then I would like to ask your opinion about other available window
7 > managers. Any better solutions in a direction "stupid and safe"?
8
9 On my part, none. All my hardened boxes are headless servers and my
10 GUI workstations have disposable configurations. Even if stepping
11 away from a window manager and all its associated programs, you still
12 have X and the numerous associated security holes (Javier outlined
13 those well).
14
15 For keyloggers, X is designed so that any application you allow to
16 connect to it can capture any of your keystrokes. That means that
17 regardless of whether you're running X as user1, google earth as
18 user2, and firefox as user3, both of those applications can pick up
19 all of your keystrokes. Since you're running as separate users, you
20 have already (implicitly or not) allowed those users to freely connect
21 to your X session. Game over.
22
23 X and window managers used to be much more unfriendly, you had to do
24 things like 'xhost +root@localhost' to allow root to pop up an Nmap
25 GUI. Now, they all handle those things behind the scenes and for the
26 most part get it right for the large majority of users. This is our
27 reality as desktop Linux tries to appeal to a broader audience.