From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Feedback on article recommending Gentoo for SELinux
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:03:05
1 On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
2 > Overall a good article. One thing which I would also point out together
3 > with the move to CIL is that there is now no "base" module. In the 2.3
4 > and earlier userlands, all the important things were in "base.pp" and
5 > then other things were added separately as modules. One of the reasons
6 > why modifying ports works in the 2.4 userland is that there is no more
7 > base, it is treated just like any other module now so the limitations of
8 > eg ports must be in base no longer apply.
9
10 I'd be careful with the "no base". This heavily depends on how the
11 userland utilities will work with the CIL, which isn't fully clarified
12 yet.
13
14 > Secondly, related to "poor support for preserving local changes across
15 > system updates". The tools now have the concept of priority so users can
16 > easy completely replace a distro-provided module at a higher priority
17 > (semodule -X 900 -i foo.pp). I haven't (yet) updated our selinux eclass
18 > to install at a lower priority but will hopefully do that soon.
19
20 We work with the default 400 (100 is for the migrated modules). Do you
21 see a reason why we have to explicitly support a particular priority
22 in our eclass?
23
24 Wkr,
25 Sven Vermeulen