From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: Richard Simpson <richard.simpson@×××××.com>
Cc: Peter Buettner <pb@××××××××××××.de>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] su and newrole do not work from normal user account
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:28:36
1 Richard Simpson wrote:
2
3 >>-----Original Message-----
4 >>From: Peter Buettner [mailto:pb@××××××××××××.de]
5 >>Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 9:43 AM
6 >>To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
7 >>Subject: [gentoo-hardened] su and newrole do not work from normal user
8 >>account
11 >>Hello,
12 >>
13 >>I performed a stage1 install from the hardened gentoo CD.
14 >>Installation works fine and without problems.
15 >>
16 >>But with the loaded policy it is not possible to do newrole -r or
17 >>su - from normal user account.
21 > I believe you would need to allow the role transition. See staff.te. The
22 > default policy seems to only allow role transitions between staff and
23 > sysadm. Rather than allowing a role transition to/from the unprivileged
24 > user_r, it would be more secure to instead grant additional privileges to an
25 > individual user, or create a new role with privileges applicable for a group
26 > of users. See staff.te for ideas on this.
27 >
28 > Richard.
31 > --
32 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
36 Role transition is not used anywhere in the Gentoo base policy and we do
37 not recommend it's use unless you have very specific security goals that
38 it can address, you are refering to role allows, and you are right,
39 user_r does not have the ability to change roles to sysadm_r. Only
40 staff_r can do this.
41
42 This is a specific design decision, you do not want your administrators
43 to be user_r and have a user_home_dir_t home directory, you need to
44 segment them from unprivileged users to keep their files, processes, etc
45 seperate. The best example of why this is good is, for example, if a
46 sysadmin logs in with user_r his ssh agent would be user_tmp_t. This is
47 obviously a bad thing, if he logs in as staff_t then his ssh agent is
48 staff_tmp_t which wouldn't be accessible at all by unprivileged users,
49 even if they could bypass DAC.
50
51 Joshua Brindle
54 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list