From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: "Aaron W. Swenson" <aaron.w.swenson@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:36:36
1 Am 21.02.2011 01:23, schrieb Aaron W. Swenson:
2 > On 02/19/2011 12:02 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 02/15/2011 02:12 PM, Chris Frederick wrote:
4 >>> Hi everyone,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'll chime in on this one. I want to clarify what is being asked, and add my two cents.
7 >
8 >> Okay, I don't think there was a consensus on this issue, so I'm sure to
9 >> make someone unhappy. I think for now, we'll leave the status quo, ie
10 >> ipv6 off by default.
11 >
12 >> If it had been a question of whether or not ipv6 would be included in
13 >> hardened, then the issue would have been obvious. We must have ipv6.
14 >> But the question was, do we enable or disable it *by default*. Those
15 >> that wish can always switch it on so nothing is ultimately lost.
16 >
17 >> The question came up because of the latest news about ipv4 address space
18 >> being depleted, so we know ipv6 is coming. When ipv6 use becomes
19 >> significant, we'll revisit the issue.
20 >
21 >> (And please don't ask me what significant mean! I'm not even sure myself :)
24 > How about we shoot for World IPv6 Day? [1] Since everyone else will be
25 > doing their test runs that day I think we should, too.
26 > <snip>
27
28 I suggest, you respect the decision of the hardened team and stop arguing against it after the
29 decision was made. The ipv6 USE flag and only the USE flag is not by default enabled. And please
30 read this carefully: _not by default enabled_. Nothing prevents anyone to default enable it in their
31 make.conf, in any package.use file/dir or whereever they want.
32
33 This is just a default setting for a profile, which aims at minimal set of default enabled USE
34 flags. And in addition, currently ipv4 is still the default and almost noone has by default a native
35 ipv6 connection, so it does not even make sense to enable that USE flag by default.
36
37 So with this conclusion, i fully support the decision of blueness and thank him for his good work
38 for and with the hardened profile of Gentoo Linux.
41 Thomas Sachau
42
43 Gentoo Linux Developer