From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy rules principles?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:56:42
1 On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 08:22:03PM +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
2 > Why not have a look at what Fedora and RHEL/CentOS does in that regards?
3 > They've probably already been through a lot of these decisions as well, and
4 > were probably also one of the earlier adopters.
5
6 Well, most of these distributions offer a targeted SELinux policy approach
7 (they confine specific services/daemons, but most user activity is ran in
8 unconfined domains) instead of a strict SELinux policy approach (no
9 unconfined domains). Although they still have the same problem, it's scope
10 is not as large as within a strict approach.
11
12 The distributions I look at (fedora mainly) doesn't really seem to use
13 one or the other. I also can't find any resource that sais to developers
14 how they should focus their policies. From a quick chat on #selinux I seem
15 to deduce that It Depends (tm). Mostly on the developer in charge.
16
17 What I do notice is that, if a module has an allow statement which is
18 cosmetic (not needed) it doesn't ever get removed because there's noone
19 "trying" to remove statements to see if they are really cosmetic (that's a
20 nice conundrum - how do I then know that a rule is cosmetic ;-)
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen