From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] LiveCD install oddity
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:37:42
1 On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 13:03, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > I can't reproduce this on vmware (and neither can Chris). after
3 > bootstrap I just hit enter and the console comes back. Can someone
4 > having this problem give as many hardware details as possible,
5 > especially video cards, etc. Also, if it's not to much trouble could you
6 > try it with a 2.6 normal gentoo livecd and see if it happens. Thanks
7
8 The hardware is an old Dell GX110, Pentium III, Intel i810 chipset,
9 including video. It won't run in frame buffer mode at all: it doesn't
10 like the available video modes (passed an undefined mode number), so
11 I've only ever run it (on this hardware) in VGA console. Under normal
12 operation while booted on the live CD, I can get the console back
13 without any trouble. The only time it would go away and not return is
14 while running bootstrap.sh. When this happened, even caps lock wouldn't
15 work, which I take to mean the kernel died. If it's idle (not running
16 bootstrap.sh) and blanks, it comes back fine. bootstrap-2.6.sh also
17 works.
18
19 You can diff bootstrap.sh and bootstrap-2.6.sh yourself, but here are
20 some notes:
21
22 * 2.6 checks for USE=nptl, which is used to select kernel headers (2.4
23 or 2.6)
24
25 * AUTOCLEAN="yes" in 2.6, vs. "no" in original.
26
27 * Original does a manual emerge clean after merging binutils.
28
29 I have a recent beta Live CD for 2004.0. With that, I have the same
30 frame buffer issues as above. However, it has a 2.4.24-xfs kernel, so
31 I'll have to hunt for a 2.6 live CD.
32 --
33 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
34 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA
38 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list