From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Slightly OT. Boot disk to leave in the server on a coloco box
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:58:28
1 I am just building a box for a coloco deal at the moment and it appears
2 that the netboot of this Dell server is not working quite correctly. I
3 am concerned about the usual stupid mistakes which leave the system
4 non-bootable and would like to burn a CD and leave it in the CD tray
5 with the bios set to boot from the HD normally. I should then hopefully
6 have serial port access to the machine and could change the bios to boot
7 from the CD if ever desperate.
8
9 Can anyone recommend a small ready built distro, or something which
10 could be easily customised just to use as a rescue distro, with serial
11 access built in, that can mount my disks and auto start an SSH server?
12 I think it will probably have to be customised anyway in order to insert
13 a static IP address so that I can access the machine correctly.
14
15 Any suggestions on something which is suitable and quick to get up and
16 running? I have some reasonable experience running linux machines, but
17 very little experience figuring out how to build a boot CD.
18
19 Cheers
20
21 Ed W