From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux 2.6
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:35:41
1 Ok, there have been a couple people looking to use SELinux 2.6,
2 especially since it works on so many more arch's. This is a short
3 description of whats happening.
4
5 The current SELinux userland (selinux-small) and all of the
6 selinux-patched utilities will not work. There is a new userland api
7 based on libselinux. The core userland components are in portage, but
8 masked. Selinux-small is replaced with sys-libs/libselinux,
9 sys-apps/checkpolicy, and sys-apps/policycoreutils. The rest of the
10 se-patched programs will not be put into portage until the 2.6 API is
11 ported back to 2.4 in the next NSA release.
12
13 Note: big endian users make sure you've got checkpolicy-1.0-r1
14 installed, as there is a critical endian-ness fix in it.
15
16 There is a experimental snapshot of the se-patched ebuilds and
17 (highly-experimental) policy:
18 http://dev.gentoo.org/~pebenito/libselinux-overlay.tar.bz2
19 http://dev.gentoo.org/~pebenito/selinux-base-policy-cvs-20030813.tar.bz2
20
21 The initial policy load is no longer handled by the kernel, but in an
22 initrd. sys-apps/mkinitrd has also been patched for creating a policy
23 initrd which gets placed in /boot, and you have to set your bootloader
24 to load it.
25
26 I suggest trying this on a test system :). You may run into a problem,
27 because tar has a selinux patch in the old selinux api, but not in the
28 new api. Just comment out the dependancy on selinux-small, and the
29 epatch in the ebuild.
30
31 Thats all I can think of right now :) , so if you have problems, come by
32 the #gentoo-hardened channel on freenode, and I'll try to help if I'm
33 around.
36 Chris PeBenito
37 <pebenito@g.o>
38 Developer, SELinux
39 Hardened Gentoo Linux
40
41 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
42 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243