From: Karl-Johan Karlsson <creideiki+gentoo-hardened@××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] XATTR_PAX, paxmark.sh, elog, icedtea, and maybe more
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 06:09:06
1 On Thu 18 Dec 2014 19.58.11 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 12/13/14 18:52, Karl-Johan Karlsson wrote:
3 > > So it works on ext4, but not ext3, even though both have the ext_attr flag
4 > > on disk. Any difference in kernel support?
5 >
6 > Because on ext3 you need to add user_xattr to the mount options. Either
7 > `mount -o user_xattr` or in fstab in column 4 like this
8 >
9 > /dev/sdb5 /tmp ext3 user_xattr 0 1
10 >
11 > Its automatic on ext4. `man mount` for more info. Please let me know
12 > if this works for you.
13
14 Aha! I was unaware of that mount option. mount(8) documents it, but is unclear
15 on what the default value is. attr(5) says it's needed on ext2, ext3 and
16 reiserfs, but says nothing about ext4.
17
18 Unfortunately, the machine is in production, and since it works without that
19 option when using the ext4 code to read ext3, I would prefer to leave it alone
20 for now.
21
22 > Is that in the Pax_Quickstart? If not we should
23 > add it.
24
25 It is not in PaX_Quickstart. It is mentioned in passing in
26 <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix/Pipelight>, which is not the first place
27 I would have thought to look :)
30 Karl-Johan Karlsson