From: Magnus Granberg <zorry@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Remove the pic use flag in the hardened amd64 profile.
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:57:47
1 On Sunday 27 February 2011 10.11.58 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:20:57 +0100
3 >
4 > klondike <franxisco1988@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > 2011/2/27 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>:
6 > > > On 26/02/2011 18:01, Magnus Granberg wrote:
7 > > >> If you have read the last meeting we will be removing the pic use flag
8 > > >> as default on in the hardened amd64 profile. We will start with the
9 > > >> changes when
10 > > >> the new structure to the profiles have settled down.
11 > > >
12 > > > Hi, any chance of a bit of background on this change? ie the "why" and
13 > > > some of the implications?
14
15 Most of the asm code is in libs and on amd64 it need to be PIC friendly from
16 the start. We don't need to disable asm code. We do that most times with the
17 pic use flag on hardened profile.
18
19 /Magnus
20 > >
21 > > Summing it up a lot, amd64 usually needs not special asm code for PIC
22 > > due to the way the ABI is defined (which means being PIC by default
23 > > usually).
24 >
25 > You summed it up too much. Why does this need to change?