From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] XATTR_PAX migration wiki
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:30:56
1 On 06/14/14 06:49, PaX Team wrote:
2 > On 13 Jun 2014 at 16:40, subscryer@×××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> I suggest a little improvement to the wiki: state the fact that
5 >> user_xattr must be enabled in fstab for the relevant filesystems (at
6 >> least /) as this isn't default AFAIK.
7 >
8 > i already forcibly enable the general xattr support in filesystems in
9 > the kernel .config when the xattr based control method is enabled, i
10 > could also forcibly enable user xattrs on actual mounts. the question
11 > is whether such a policy decision belongs in the kernel or not...
14 I was going to say "no this doesn't belong in the kernel" but actually
15 yeah, maybe it does. If we are going to enable xattr support on
16 filesystems when we want XATTR_PAX, then we should enable user.* xattr
17 support on mounts. The other xattr namespaces are already enabled on
18 those filesystems, so why not add user.*? One caveat I can think of is
19 we only need user.pax.flags while we'd be turning on all of user.* so
20 maybe some perverse attack could make use of user.exploitme or something
21 like that? (I'm stretching it, I know.) Also we'd be removing the
22 choice to mount nouser_xattr and effectively force all markings off. Or
23 you could just change the default behavior of mount to mount -o
24 user_xattr and the user would then have to mount -o nouser_xattr to turn
25 user.* off.
26
27 Comments?
30 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.