From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pageexec@××××××××.hu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Considering dropping the hardened toolchain
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:09:18
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 >I really never wanted to send a mail like this but I don't know what
4 >else to do. ;/
5 >
6 >Due to low positive feedback and user input I'm considering dropping the
7 >hardened toolchain and retiring from non commercial proactive security
8 >efforts. ie pulling the patches developed that brings you
9 >pie/ssp/relro/now/etc..
12 I only get chance to scan the list occasionally, but have just seen
13 this. I can easily understand your position, but it will certainly be a
14 very sad day if we lose this functionality.
15
16 I don't have the time or abilities to step up to the plate myself, but I
17 guess the least I can offer is some interest from the user base that
18 this work is *very* appreciated.
19
20 As an aside, there seems to be something peculiarly difficult about
21 getting all these various new linux security enhancements into working
22 practice. I have been investigating vservers, and user-mode-linux
23 recently, and both seem to be rather hard to get working completely with
24 a modern 2.6 kernel. Hardened compiler is at least the bare min that
25 one can easily add to a basic install.
26
27 I hope you get the support that you need..
28
29 So long and thanks for all the patches...
30
31 Ed W
34 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list