From: "Javier Martínez" <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:36:26
1 He always could keep running X-window and his window manager (both) in
2 a chrooted environment, he just protect extremely /dev/mem. Maybe he
3 would not need /proc filesystem. If security is important why don't
4 keep running the Xserver isolated (in a virtualbox for example and
5 hardened with rsbac) and remote users get logged in with xnest through
6 a ssl tunnel?. With those you get your untrusted users isolated from
7 main system.
8
9 In my opinion getting X-window running is bad in security concerns, by
10 this reasons:
11 - First: PaX should be disable in mprotect terms since Xorg needs it
12 (with it refuse to run) .
13 - Second: Access to /dev/mem have to be granted and get in mind that
14 CAP_SYS_RAWIO capability (between others) too, for this reason, one
15 bug in Xserver will give all control to the attacker (and keep in mind
16 that with access to /dev/mem all Selinux, rsbac and grsecurity
17 policies are wasted efforts). Since mprotect protections have to be
18 disabled pax could not protect you.
19 - Third: You must assure the access to the display, to make a
20 keylogger in x-window is easy if there is posibility to connect
21 untrusted clients to it.
22