From: Jan Klod <janklodvan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:39:29
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:14:47 RB wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 14:58, Jan Klod <janklodvan@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Actually, that sound like there is practically no way to keep networked
4 > > workstation really secure.
5 >
6 > That's kind of outside the realm of this discussion. The difference
7 > between the attack surface of a network interface versus that of a
8 > local application is several orders of magnitude.
9 Gives nothing, if all ways outside (network, no plaintext filesystems!) are
10 closed and sessions are secure (locked, if not legitimately operated in AND
11 enough bug-free).
12 Yes, but who is going to work on disconnected system?
13 Adding some kind of proxy with firewall opens up a possibility of malicious
14 transfer to some trusted outside service, which can theoretically be
15 compromised by then.
16 Also I didn't count some wild tricks with operating hardware... But that
17 doesn't count, as RAM can be partially read by coldboot att.
18
19 > > As a conclusion of what I have read this far I can state: hardened OS is
20 > > useless for non-server. Would that be too much? Well, I think, in a
21 > > "black and white" no. (later is a discussion of what is better: to have 3
22 > > holes or 300)
23 >
24 > The problem, as I see it, is that you haven't defined your problem
25 > scope.
26 My problem is stupidly simple: I just want a safe (well, as safe as possible)
27 way to exchange my mails. If I leave my physical hardware to be "as safe as
28 possible", outside channel to mailserver remains (and can then once become a
29 tunnel for other information).
30
31 > Taking "extra precautions" is nice, but unless you [even
32 > broadly] classify what you consider a viable threat, you're not going
33 > to gain much ground. My advice would be to sit back and try to define
34 > what you're defending against.
35 Anything, that would allow to leak information through network or wipe local
36 files, which is not an exact list of things, of course. I would appreciate,
37 if someone throws in a link(s) to where people show / discuss ways it could
38 be done, even if Linux user is careful (but not "paranoid") about how he uses
39 the system.
40
41 > There are measures you can take, but
42 > blindly applying security policies is more likely to end up with a
43 > broken system than a secure one.
44 Sure.