From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy rules principles?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:36:30
1 On 01/19/2011 02:25 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:05:39PM -0600, Chris Richards wrote:
3 >> As I mentioned previously, my concern with having harmless AVCs in the
4 >> log is that we create a situation where the System Admin gets so used to
5 >> seeing all of these AVCs that he gets in the habit of ignoring them.
6 >> Being in the habit of ignoring stuff in the logs is, IMO, a Bad Thing
7 >> because it increases the likelihood of ignoring something important.
8 >>
9 >> That being said, troubleshooting a system where legitimate AVCs are
10 >> being dontaudited can be difficult, and determining if an AVC should be
11 >> dontaudited can involve digging through a LOT of code. Perhaps we
12 >> should leave the AVCs we aren't certain of for a bit, with an eye to
13 >> either dontauditing or fixing them at a later date?
14 > Hmm, perhaps with a tunable_policy called `gentoo_try_dontaudit' or
15 > something similar. The boolean could provide additional benefit as it sais
16 > to the end user "hey, if you enable this, you'll get less AVC denials but we
17 > are not fully confident yet that they are true ignorable denials", unlike
18 > the "semodule -D" approach which also disables all real ignorable dontaudit
19 > denials.
22 Now THAT'S an idea a like!
23
24 Later,