From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:32:18
1 Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 09:02:58PM -0500, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
5 >> I run the "old" hardened toolchain, grsecurity-enhanced hardened kernel,
6 >> rbac control, and jails for anything that accesses the LAN/WAN.(heh... I
7 >> even chroot and kill dhcpcd after 5 seconds). Avira has hundreds of Linux
8 >> rootkit signatures in its database, so I run Avira and Dazuko
9 >> realtime/on-access scanning on my /home directory, the chroot jails, and on
10 >> the portage workspace used during download and compilation.
11 >
12 > Wow. While I'm a paranoiac in this sense too, I'm too lazy to do most of
13 > these things. It's good to know there are potential for me to advance on
14 > this way! ;-)
15
16 I set this up three+ years ago, and after initial setup, it's been
17 really easy to maintain. Every now and then I have to "retrain" RBAC,
18 but I use a training script to do that, so it is pretty automatic as well
22 > BTW, is your workstation really was under attack (don't counting ssh worms
23 > and the like script kiddie games)? Is there was attacks which was able to
24 > break first circle of protection (GrSec+PaX+toolchain)?
25
26 I've not had anything break G+P+T.
27
28 - I had pax continuously cancel FireFox on a particular site a few years
29 ago, and never figured out what it was. It might hae been a browser
30 attack, or it may have simply been a badly-written extension.
31
32 I now browse with Opera (in a jail), and use Firefox ("fox in a box") in
33 a limited way.
34
35 - I also today real-time scan the browser jails (which I run in ramdisk,
36 so that any unintended changes are discarded at the end of the session)
37 with Dazuko/Antivir, and have had a number of suspicious scripts blocked
38 by AntiVir before the browser could act on them - so I think that my
39 exposure is thereby reduced.
42 > As for me, I decide not to worry about these things (browser chroot, etc.)
43 > for now because on workstation most important information is files in my
44 > home directory... and applications I use (like browser, mail client, etc.)
45 > MUST have access to these files or these applications because nearly
46 > unusable for me. So, even with RSBAC, if my mutt will be owned by some
47 > malicious email, and it will delete/damage files it usually have access to
48 > (like my mailbox :)), that will be _enough_ and make much more damage for
49 > me than installing rootkit. So, I choose to do regular automated backups
50 > and run chkrootkit/rkhunter from cron just for the case they detect
51 > something interesting to play with. :)
52
53 Well, that's a good point - it can be a pain, e.g. copying a document
54 into the mail client chroot jail so that I can send it.
55
56 I also use numerous, individual, single-purpose users (e.g.
57 ooffice:ooffice;, opera:opera, tbird:tbird, etc.) so that, e.g.,
58 user/jail wireshark:wireshark can not read user tbird:tbird, and vice
59 versa.
60
61 This can be a pain because I need to change privilege, as well as
62 copying things into - e.g., the tbird jail.
63
64 Copying downloads out of jails is easy - a script copies all downloads
65 from the various jails into a single folder, which is then scanned for
66 Trojan signatures.