From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Grsecurity 2 in hardened-sources
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:15:19
1 I would like to thank frogger for taking the time to put together
2 hardened-sources-r3 for us (good work frogger)
3
4 -r3 introduces the grsecurity-2.0-pre4-2.4.20.patch which has
5 some very cool/needed new features for us grsecuirty users such as role
6 based access control, variable support within acls including unions,
7 intersections, differences of sets, and an learning device,daemon as
8 well as nested subjects. All these features plus what it already had
9 should make grsecurity2 the most well rounded complete host based
10 security solution available for linux to date.
11
12 These new features should be transparent to our users not using the
13 access control list features of grsecurity, however for those of that
14 will be be using them we have a few things to consider.
15
16 First grsecurity 2 has not been officialy released yet, and no
17 documentation exists for these features of grsecuity2 outside of the
18 grsec mailing list itself.
19
20 Second item is gradm itself,
21 <=gradm-2 installs to /sbin/gradm and reads /etc/grsec/acl
22 >gradm-2 also installs to /sbin/gradm and also reads /etc/grsec/acl
23 But they dont play together well at all, and if we were to park gradm2
24 which is really gradm in sys-apps/gradm It would always get prefered
25 over gradm-1.9.x when ~arch is set. This would affect users using
26 gentoo-sources. I dont want to introduce another apache{1,2} SLOT type
27 of mess.
28
29 My simple solution would be to park gradm 2 in sys-apps/gradm2, install
30 gradm 2 as /sbin/gradm2 with /etc/grsec2/acl and leave it this way
31 untill grsecurity1 becomes deprecated. This would allow people to have
32 both systems installed without any conflict. (Any comments before it
33 gets set in stone?)
36 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
37 Gentoo Linux (Hardened)
41 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list