From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux:after latest update every binary needs the execmod permission to execute
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:38:52
1 On 13 Apr 2006 at 14:46, Mivz wrote:
2 > Without enforcing ping works just fine:
3
4 this is good enough to tell the story.
5
6 > brk(0) = 0x8001e320
7
8 that address looks interesting, you'll see why.
11 > mprotect(0x80000000, 40960, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE) = 0
12 > mprotect(0x80000000, 40960, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC) = 0
13
14 and this is where the PROT_WRITE->PROT_EXEC transition happens,
15 a strong indication of text relocations. comparing it to the
16 above brk address, we can be quite sure that it is in fact the
17 main application itself being subject to such torture (brk always
18 follows the main app in memory). noting the unusual start address
19 of the main app (it'd be 0x08048000 for ET_EXEC), we can conclude
20 that your ping executable is a PIE that is not fully PIC. run
21 scanelf -T on it to see where the problem is.
24 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list