From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] memlimit
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 15:06:19
1 >Btw, are there any special flags I can use to increase te security of the system?
4 ..snip..
5
6 >I have been using selinux-sources and I would like to know what hardened sources would you recommend?
7 >Something with grsec, ssp would be better? And if so, do I need to recompile all the packages?
10 There was a thread just a few days ago, where I bothered the good people
11 here with lots of basic questions about selinux, and hardened. You
12 should have a read of those.
13
14 In a nutshell though, grsecurity adds a lot of hardening to apps, and
15 also has an ACL system. SELinux is just an ACL system, and personally I
16 found it a little hard to get my head around. You don't need to rebuild
17 you whole system to add it, and there is a good section in the docs at
18 hardened.gentoo.org on how to convert your system to selinux if you want to.
19
20 >Do I also need a special gcc with any kind of buffer overflow protections?
24 This is a good idea. Seems to be in a state of flux at the moment.
25 Read the recent threads for more details
26
27 >Also, would be ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" a good idea on a production server? I figure having the latest packages installed sure pays off regarding the previous versions bugs and holes, but they may come with new ones.
31 Doubt it. Stable is intended to include bug fixed versions ASAP.
32 Unstable is for testing and usually ok, but I tend to just unmask or
33 manually force packages where I need an update.
34
35 Ed W
38 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list