From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:28:47
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 15:56:02 +0300 Alex Efros wrote:
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 01:55:16PM +0200, SK wrote:
7 > > And it's not about money from what I've read, should read this if you
8 > > want some more information :
9 >
10 > If it's all just about credits, ego and personal conflict with LF - when
11 > they the hell it affects everybody else? AFAIK Gentoo Hardened and
12 > probably most other distributions which use GrSec/PaX have nothing with
13 > all of this. Wanna say "fuuuu" to LF? No prob, change license to say only
14 > listed Linux distributions may continue using GrSec/PaX for free.
15
16 They can't do this. Because GrSec/PaX is a derivative from Linux
17 kernel (and some other projects), so they can't change a license to
18 the kernel changes they made. If they do, this will be a clear
19 GPLv2 violation and the LF (as well as any other author of a
20 tiniest piece of the kernel) may sue them for the license violation.
21
22 > Also, if it's NSA case, next step will be to add backdoor into GrSec/PaX
23 > (I suppose everyone realize that) which will eventually ruin Open Source
24 > Security Inc. business anyway.
25
26 Not necessarily. NSA and affiliates also use Linux and are
27 interested in the enhanced security. So this company may just move
28 on the payroll.
29
30 But I agree with you that further discussion of possible external
31 enforcement is unproductive, because there is nothing we can do
32 here.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Andrew Savchenko